Thinking of making changes to your house?

Then please read this first!

Our houses are very special – they were the first of their kind to be built by The Edinburgh Cooperative Building Company in the mid-late 1800s, and are a unique part of the city’s heritage. This is why the City chose to designate the Stockbridge Colonies as a Conservation Area earlier this year, and also why the houses were given List B status. This means that the external appearance of the houses cannot be changed without listed building consent and internal changes often require a permit too.

So if you are planning to make changes to your property, be sure to check with the Council first.

You can find the information you need at and refer specifically to Guidance on Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas. You can contact the Planning Helpdesk on 0131 529 3571/3550 or email

If you make changes that do not comply with the legislation, you may be asked to re-do the work and if you do not do so, you may be fined, so it is very important to check before you do anything e.g. change your front door, fit a new dormer window or double-glazed windows, or erect a garden shed.

NOTE: If you happen to notice inappropriate features being fitted to a house near you, do check that the owners have sought permission to make the changes. If not, you can fill in an enforcement reporting form to alert the Council.
This can found at